Type Status Location Last Updated
This Advice message is being issued for Bellbird Creek, Bete Bolong, Brodribb River, Cabbage Tree Creek, Cape Conran, Corringle, Jarrahmond, Manorina, Marlo, Murrungowar, Newmerella, Orbost, Simpsons Creek, Tabbara.

**This Advice message replaces the Advice Message issued at 6.35pm Tuesday 14th January.**

  • There are bushfires around Orbost, Marlo and Cabbage Tree Creek and Bemm River that are not yet under control.
  • There has been fire activity in the Bemm River, Manorina, Bellbird Creek, east of Orbost and Brodribb area.
  • We remind people to obey road closures. This is for your own safety. It is not safe to drive on these roads until they have been treated for hazardous trees and other damage. There is still active fire in some of these areas.   
  • Fire damaged trees kill. It is not always obvious that a tree has been impacted by fire. 
  • Firefighters and the ADF are working to make roads safe prior to reopening. This will take some time due to the scale of the fires. There are 4,900kms of road to assess and treat for hazardous trees and other damage.
  • Crews are now focusing on checking containment lines and treating hazardous trees on the Princes Highway beyond Orbost.
  • For further information read the latest Far East Gippsland Community Newsletter published today Tuesday 14th January
There is currently no threat to you, but you should plan for what you will do if the situation changes. 

You should remain vigilant.
What you should do: 
  • Monitor warnings so you can act quickly if the situation changes.
Relief Centre:
Bairnsdale Football Pavillion, 40 Macarthur Street, Bairnsdale.
Impacts in your area: 
  • Firefighters and the ADF are working to make roads safe prior to reopening.
  • The Princes Highway is now open between Bairnsdale and Orbost.
  • The Bruthen-Nowa Nowa Road remains closed between Nowa-Nowa and Bruthen. Check the VicTraffic website (traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/) or call 13 11 70 for road closures.
  • V/line services are impacted between Bairnsdale and Lakes Entrance / Orbost / Marlo / Narooma / Batemans Bay / Canberra. For more information visit the V/Line Website.
  • Your tank water supply may become contaminated with debris, ash, soot, fire retardant or dead animals. Make sure it is properly sealed and disconnected from down pipes. For more information check this fact sheet protecting your water tank.

Register Find Unite
People who live in the affected communities are encouraged to register with the Red Cross at Register.Find.Reunite even if you have left the area. https://register.redcross.org.au/ or by calling 1800 727 077. 

For information on health services status and availability in impacted areas visit www.emergency.vic.gov.au/relief

East Gippsland Shire Council Bushfire Information available here: https://www.eastgippsland.vic.gov.au/Bushfire_information

Bushfire affected residents seeking emergency water relief should contact South East Water on 131 851.
This message was issued by Forest Fire Management Victoria.

The next update is expected by 15/01/2020 12:20 pm or as the situation changes.

Health information:
  • If you need medical advice for burns or exposure to smoke, seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024.
  • Anyone experiencing wheezing, chest tightness and difficulty breathing should call Triple Zero (000).
  • For information on maintaining watertanks before, during and after bushfires go to  Bushfires and Your Private Drinking Water Supply
If you can see or smell smoke, please note: 
  • Smoke can affect people's health.
  • People with heart or lung conditions (including asthma), children, pregnant women and older people are more sensitive to the effects of breathing in smoke.
  • People with existing heart or lung conditions (including asthma) should follow the treatment plan advised by the doctor.
Use multiple sources to stay informed: 
The following services can help you, or someone you know, access information during an emergency.
  • To access this information in other languages call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 (freecall) and ask them to call VicEmergency Hotline.
  • If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech/communication impairment contact National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask them to call the VicEmergency Hotline.