Advice - Fire
Cape Conran, Cabbage Tree Creek, Marlo and Marlo Plains
1581651822000Yesterday at 2:43 PM
message is being issued for Cape Conran, Cabbage Tree Creek, Marlo and Marlo Plains
- The small peat fires at Cape Conran continue to burn.
- Rains and cooler weather have suppressed fire behaviour across Far East Gippsland.
- Firefighters are actively working to suppress the fire.
- Emergency services are working with EPA and specialist Firefighters to develop a long-term strategy to extinguish the peat fires.
- Drones with infrared technology are being used to map the fires.
- Carbon monoxide monitoring is being conducted around the peat fire.
- Cape Conran Coastal Park remains closed.
- Smoke may be visible from nearby roads and communities.
- It is important that you continue to remain vigilant and stay informed.
There is currently no threat to you, but you should plan for what you will do if the situation changes.
People with a heart or Lung condition, including asthmas, children (up to 14 years), pregnant women and people over the age of 65 years are more sensitive to breathing in smoke.
Anyone experiencing wheezing, chest tightness and difficulty breathing should call Triple Zero (000).
If you need medical advice for exposure to smoke, seek medical advice at Nurse On Call or call 1300 606 024. What you should do:
- Monitor warnings so you can
act quickly if the situation changes.
- If you have time check your neighbours to see if they are monitoring conditions. Decide what you will do if the situation changes.
Find information on protecting yourself and your family: http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/before-and-during-a-fire/.
Impacts in your area:
- Residents in the Marlo and Marlo Plains areas may experience some smoke from the peat fires at Cape Conran which may be odorous.
- Due to the current weather and changing road conditions, before you travel within the Far East Gippsland area you should check the VicTraffic website (traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/) or call 13 11 70 for road closures.
- Marlo Road, Marlo Plains Road & Cabbage Tree - Conran Road is now open.
This message was issued
by Forest Fire Management Victoria.
The next update is expected by 15/02/2020 02:50 pm or
as the situation changes.
If you can see or smell smoke, please note:
- If you need medical advice for burns or exposure to smoke,
seek medical advice at Nurse
on Call or call 1300 606 024.
- Anyone experiencing wheezing, chest tightness and difficulty
breathing should call Triple Zero (000).
- Smoke can affect people's health.
- People with heart or lung conditions (including asthma), children, pregnant women and older people are more sensitive to the effects of breathing in smoke.
- People with existing heart or lung conditions (including asthma) should follow the treatment plan advised by the doctor.
Use multiple sources to stay informed:
The following services can
help you, or someone you know, access information during an emergency.
- To access this information in other languages call the Translating
and Interpreting Service on 131
450 (freecall) and ask them to call VicEmergency Hotline.
- If you are deaf, hard of
hearing, or have a speech/communication impairment contact National
Relay Service on 1800 555 677
and ask them to call the VicEmergency Hotline.