Relief & Recovery

Southwest Fires March 2018

Support services and financial assistance is available to eligible residents impacted by the South West Fires to help meet their immediate and essential needs.

For more information contact the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226.

Council fire recovery newsletters

Please follow the links below for the latest community newsletters and information.

Local support services

You can contact your local council for recovery information:

Corangamite Shire:
Call 5593 7100 or email

Moyne Shire:
Call 1300 656 564 or email

Southern Grampians Shire:
Call 5573 0444 or email

Agriculture Victoria Incident Control

Call 5336 6721

Local emotional support services

For access to free local emotional support services please call South West Healthcare on 5563 4000 or 5232 5180.

For general health advice and support you can also call NURSE-ON-CALL on 1300 60 60 24, visit your GP for medical advice, visit your local health service or dial Triple Zero in an emergency.

Other support contacts

Insurance Council of Australia - 1800 734 621

Disaster Legal Help - 1800 113 432

Australian Red Cross - 1800 232 969

Lifeline - 131 114

Beyond Blue - 1300 224 636

MensLine - 1300 789 978

Nurse On Call - 1300 60 60 24

Rural Financial Counselling Service - 1300 735 578

Farmers Assistance Hotline - 13 23 16

Kid’s Help Line - 1800 55 1800

Parent Line - 13 22 89

Peat fires and air quality

The peat fires at Lake Cobrico and Lake Elingamite have been declared safe.

Farm recovery

Farmers with affected livestock can contact 5336 6721.

Pasture recovery and feed budgeting assistance

To speak to an extension officer about your situation and to organise a free visit contact:

Agriculture Victoria

Michele Jolliffe on 0428 581 883.

WestVic Dairy

Helen Chenoweth on (03) 5557 1000.

Disaster assistance extended

To apply for a recovery grant, primary producers can contact Rural Finance on 1800 260 425.

Farm Planning Support

If you require confidential farm business analysis support contact Rural Financial Counselling (RFCS) on 1300 735 578

Insurance and emergency re-establishment payments 

Re-establishment assistance is available to individuals or families who do not have building (home) insurance or contents insurance. Contact the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226 for more information.


For assistance with insurance contact the Insurance Council of Australia on 1800 734 621 (24 hour hotline). You can find information on lodging a claim following a disaster here:


  • Emergency Management Victoria (EMV) has partnered with Community Bank® to establish a Community Relief Fund in support of community members affected by the Southwest Victoria fires.
  • Victorian Farmers Disaster Relief Fund for the South West Fires is now open for donations. More info is available on the VFF website.
RR Sort Order: