Relief & Recovery


It is normal for a distressing or frightening event to affect you physically, mentally and emotionally. Additionally, long running fires in your local area can be extremely stressful and can trigger emotional, physical and psychological reactions. 

Emotional assistance

It is normal to have strong emotional or physical reactions after an emergency – these feelings are part of the healing process. Here are some strategies for coping with trauma in recovery.

If you or a loved one need support during this difficult time, visit your GP or call the Victorian Bushfire Case Support Program (details below) for more information abut the mental support services available in your area.

The Better Health Channel has more information about trauma and families, while a number of support services are also available:

  • LifeLine – phone 131 114 – a 24-hour telephone service that offers confidential support and advice to help you deal with stress and personal challenges.
  • Beyondblue – phone 1300 224 636 – an information line that offers expert information on depression; how to recognise the signs of depression, how to get help, how to help someone else and how to stay well.
  • Mensline – phone 1300 789 978 – a telephone support, information and referral service, helping men deal with their relationship problems.
  • Nurse-on-Call – phone 1300 60 60 24 – a 24-hour telephone service that allows people to discuss any health-related issue with a registered nurse for the cost of a local call.
  • Parentline Victoria – phone 13 22 89 (8am–midnight, 7 days a week) – a telephone service for parents and carers of children from birth to 18 years old, which offers confidential and anonymous counselling and support on parenting issues.
  • Kids Help Line – phone 1800 551 800 – a 24-hour telephone service that provides phone and online counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25.
  • Switchboard - phone 1800 184 527 - (3pm - 12am, 7 days a week) a peer-driven support service for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and gender diverse, intersex, queer and asexual (LGBTIQA+) people, their families, allies and communities.

You can also contact:

  • Your doctor, local community health centre
  • A Counsellor or Psychologist
  • Australian Psychological Society Referral Service Tel. 1800 333 497
  • Victorian Bushfires Case Support Program 1800 560 760 - 8 am to 6 pm weekdays and 9 am to 5 pm weekends
  • Accredited Social Workers – to find a social worker – Tel 1800 630 124 (Mon to Fri, 8am to 5pm)


Family violence

Emergencies put a lot of additional stress on close relationships and families as they struggle to deal with the stress. If you, or someone you know, need help there are services you can call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

  • The Orange Door is the access point to services for adults, children and young people who are experiencing family violence. Visit
  • Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre provides confidential support for women and children living with family violence. Call 1800 015 188 or visit
  • The Men’s Referral Service is a confidential telephone service for men who might be using violence towards a family member or who have been victimised by a partner or family member. Call 1300 766 491 or visit

Call 000 if you, or someone you know, is in immediate danger.


Translated information

Translated trauma and recovery information available here

RR Sort Order: